Thursday 31 May 2012

End of May ... Already?!!

Well, it's the end of the May already and this year is speeding in quicker than 2011 which in and of itself was a quick year. Is this what happens? Every year after a certain age the time speeds up for you?!! Frightening thought that there!

So on the 10th I had my check up with my Rhematologist at the hospital and don't have to go back until January 2013 for my next one.


I have made an appointment next Wednesday (6th June) at my GP surgery to get a replacement for one of my long term medications which has been withdrawn from the market. Or more precisely one maker is no longer making the mixture of meds (Naproxen + Sodium) in the dosage I take and as all chemists in my town deal with the same distributor whose deals only with this particular drug company for any Naproxen medications I can't get this medication any more. As chemists can only deal with (or only want to deal with) one supplier and as the suppliers can't get this medication I have to change over to another medication.

Pain in the backside this is. Only one drug company has stopped making this medication/dosage but as it's the one this supplier deals with I screwed. So although it's available through other suppliers who deal with other drug companies I still have to change my medications. This is the side effect of Boots buying out a lot of independent chemists, as all the chemists in our town are either Boots owned or Superdrug, both of which deal with the same supplier I can't find a chemist who will go looking elsewhere (i.e. another supplier) for my medication I have to go through switching meds which will muck-up my drug interaction if nothing else.

Not looking forward to it at all. It took years to get just the right combination of medications I could take due to drug interaction, side effects and the mixture of medical conditions I live with. And here I am back to the beginning and having to go through the whole uncomfortable part where I start having to take yet another prescription medication and risk drug interaction/side effects as well as my flaring medical conditions.


No comments:

Post a Comment